|Plant litter mulch in a forest, naturally enhancing the vegetation and soil vitality. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)|
|Pine needles used as mulch. Also called "pinestraw" in the southern US. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)|
- Compost – if done right can be made weed seed free, provides nutrients, prevents diseases, and plants can be directly in it.
- Straw, leaves and grass clippings – smothers weeds and holds is moisture.
- Hay – adds nutrients as it decomposes.
- Bark Chips – long lasting and attractive but ranks low on moisture retention and keeping all weeds out.
- Wood Clips – good at smothering weeds and is somewhat long lasting.
- Rubber Mulch – smothers weeds, does not attract insects and long lasting.