|Close up photo of a dandelion. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)|
- Covering the ground with one or two layers of black plastic sheeting, the theory here is to deprive the weeds from light, air, and water; thereby killing the weeds.
- Laying thick layers of wood chip mulch to prevent most weeds from sprouting.
- Laying down several layers of wet newspaper or old rugs for several weeks to prevent sunlight, keeping the papers or rugs wet helps in speeding up the decomposition of the weed plants.
- Applying post-emergence herbicides either in granular form or liquid to kill and/or stop weed seeds from growing.
- And last and probably the most effective, is good old-fashion hand-pulling.